Ancestral Lineage Healing Intensives
About the Work. Ancestral lineage healing emphasizes learning to relate directly with one’s recent and more ancient blood ancestors for personal, family, and cultural healing. Coming into direct relationship with your ancestors can help to transform intergenerational toxins, re-establish obscured blessings, improve relationships with the living, and encourage good health, self-esteem, and clarity of purpose. This approach to ancestor reverence and ritual emphasizes psychological and ritual safety, participants’ ability to connect directly with their own wise and kind ancestors, and the intersection of personal healing with larger historical troubles.
This approach is experiential, rooted in an ethic of kindness, and welcoming to people of diverse ancestries and any religious/spiritual background (or lack thereof). Intensives and sessions are open to all, and the work is explicitly rooted in a feminist, decolonizing, anti-racist, LGBTQI-friendly, class-aware, earth-honoring ethic without being overly politicized in ways that are at odds with depth ritual work. We’re striving to be culturally ahead of the curve and to bring a heart-connected, non-dogmatic spirit to meet each participant’s unique life experiences and ancestral storylines. For more on the approach see this link.
About the Intensive. During the three-day intensive we usually gather daily from 10am-5pm, and time is a blend of teaching, direct visioning and trance work (often with drumming), group dialogue, and other elements of ancestor-focused ritual (e.g., offering practice, song, prayer). There are no prerequisites, however, prior experience with ritual and personal healing are helpful. Attendees can expect to learn skills for navigating the relationship between the living and the dead, including ways to enjoy healthy connection with beloved family after their death. The intensive closely follows the first nine chapters of Ancestral Medicine: Rituals for Personal and Family Healing as participants connect and partner with ancestral guides to support any among the dead still in need of assistance.
Event leaders are committed to guiding this work in ways that are psychologically grounded, ritually safe, and culturally mindful. Those new to ancestor work, adoptees, and folks with a tough experience of family are all warmly welcome. Participants work directly with their own lineage ancestors but are not expected to hold space for others beyond showing up in a mindful way during group shares; attendees work alongside one another but very much in their own space and personal process.
Participants can expect an in-depth experience and should be personally well resourced. Each intensive is facilitated by one or two of our teachers often with additional trained supporters; however, when guiding a group for three days there are limitations to the level of individualized support the team will be able to provide. If you have doubts about whether the intensive is a good container for your depth work, be in dialogue with the team beforehand. The intensive is not a substitute for personal therapy or physical medicines.
Participants at the intensives learn life-long skills for personally accessing ancestral support; however, the three day intensive is not a training in how to guide this work. For that, see the practitioner training.
Logistics and Registration. Cost for the three-days intensives varies depending on location (see event pages) and is typically around $450 USD. Unless otherwise specified the work is not residential. Participants who travel for intensives arrange their own accommodations. There are spaces for scholarship/reduced cost and payment plans to keep the work accessible. If you need financial assistance to join, please see the specific event page for details. If you would like to help us keep this work accessible or if you have enjoyed financial assistance previously and now wish to extend this others, please consider a donation to our scholarship fund.
Since 2005 the founder of this approach to ancestral healing, Dr. Daniel Foor, has guided over 125 multi-day intensives. In recent years Daniel has begun training other practitioners to co-lead the intensives. Be assured that anyone doing so has Daniel’s full backing and brings their specifically excellent gifts and style to the work.
Go to the full events calendar here, including talks and intensives.
Registration is open for all trainings listed. Just be in touch with any questions (email@example.com).
- June 28-30 in Decatur, Georgia. Guided by Shannon Willis and Gita Thandika. Registration, Facebook Event
- July 12-14 in Porto, Portugal. Guided by Daniel Foor. Registration, Facebook Event
- July 26-28 in Berlin, Germany. Guided by Daniel Foor. Registration, Facebook Event
- August 17-18 in Helsinki, Finland. Weekend (2-day) intensive guided by Daniel Foor. Registration, Facebook Event
- August 23-25 in Vienna, Austria. Guided by Daniel Foor. Registration, Facebook Event
- August 23-25 in Louisville, Kentucky. Guided by Maris Bergrune and Shannon Willis. Registration, Facebook Event
- September 6-8 in Dartington, England. Guided by Daniel Foor. Registration, Facebook Event
- October 4-6 in Calgary, AB, Canada. Guided by Shauna Janz & Lindsay Sudeikis. Registration, Facebook Event
- October 18-20 in Asheville, North Carolina. Guided by Sarah Foor and Shannon Willis. Registration, Facebook Event
- October 25-27 in Victoria, BC, Canada. Guided by Shauna Janz & TBA. Registration, Facebook Event
- November 15-17 in Berkeley, California. Guided by Pavini Moray and Taya Shere. Registration, Facebook Event
- November 21-23 in Toronto, ON, Canada. Guided by Shannon Willis. Registration, Facebook Event
- December 6-8 in Brooklyn, New York. Guided by Taya Shere & TBA. Registration, Facebook Event
If you have an interest in hosting an intensive in your area, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Daniel and other teachers are open to teaching outside North America. Intensives in other languages are also possible; please inquire about what languages are currently offered.